Sunday, November 23, 2008
Learning Journal
My partner (Amanda) and I are currently planning to teach the start of our Unit for social studies in our first grade classroom. Our Unit is over national holidays. We have a student that is not allowed to learn about or celebrate holdays because of her religion. Our problem is that it is a standard that needs to be covered. Therefore, it needs to be covered but how do we do that? Her mother normally takes her out of school if she knows any type of holiday activity is going to occur (i.e. Veteran's Day parade, Thanksgiving dinner). I know that my current classroom teacher just notifies the girls' parents about upcoming events but I am wondering if there is any other way to approach this. I feel the girl is greatly missing out but I do not know how to appraoch this situation? How will the girl recieve grades when the Unit is being covered?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jami, you bring up valid concerns about your student. Here is where your ability to make accomodations and adapt lessons will come to play...though we usually think of that when working with our ELL, special populations- this is one other way we may have to think of accomodations/adaptions for students in our classrooms. Is it possible for that student to join another classroom in the same grade while you are teaching your unit? They would be responsible for the social studies work in the other room and receive a grade from another teacher for this particular SS portion of the nine weeks. I'm sure your classroom teacher can give you some other options..but yes, this will happen from time to time when you teach!
Post a Comment